I'm low on time today, but I would like to share a beautiful translation of a piece of the Greek Anthology. The Greek Anthology (Anthologia Graeca) is a collection of poems, mostly epigrams, that span the classical and Byzantine periods of Greek literature. Most of the material of the Greek Anthology comes from two manuscripts, the Palatine Anthology of the 10th century and the Anthology of Planudes (or Planudean Anthology) of the 14th century. Needless to say, they are not ancient Hellenic, but use themes from its mythology and I enjoy sampling them.


Now, the Greek Anthology has been translated many times and I am not a fan of most. Take this translation, for example, of the part I'd like to share today:

"Even like unto a storm in springtime, Diodorus, 
is my love, determined by the moods of an uncertain sea. 
At one time you display heavy rain-clouds, 
at another again the sky is clear 
and your eyes melt in a soft smile. 

And I, like a shipwrecked man in the surge, 
count the blind waves as I am whirled 
hither and thither at the mercy of the mighty storm. 

But show me a landmark either of love or of hate, 
that I may know in which sea I swim."
[12.156]

Perfectly fine, but it doesn't flow for me. Here is today's offering, and I love it! From Sententiae Antiquae:

"Just like a spring storm, Diodoros,
My love is decided by an uncertain sea.
Sometimes you show pouring rain, but at others
You are clear, and you pour a soft smile from your eyes.

So I, like the shipwrecked on the swell,
Measure out the blind waves as I spin,
Drawn here and there by the great storm.

But you, shine me a beacon of love or even hate
So I can know by which wave we should swim."
[12.156]