My girlfriend I going on a short trip with friends today. She's off to Berlin and while I decided to stay at home, I do worry for her safety during the six hour journey to the city, her stay there, and the trip back. It's in my nature to worry about those I love. As such, I make special libations and sacrifices to Hermes and Zeus today and decided to publish the short prayer I add whenever someone I love travels a longer or extended period away from their home. Remember the ritual structure of procession, purification, hymns, sacrifice, prayers, thanks, and shared enjoyment of the gifts given.


Hermes, draw near, and to my pray'r incline, angel of Zeus, and Maia's son divine; Studious of contests, ruler of mankind, with heart almighty, and a prudent mind. Celestial messenger, of various skill, whose pow'rful arts could watchful Argus kill: With winged feet, 'tis thine thro' air to course, O friend of man, and prophet of discourse: Great life-supporter, to rejoice is thine, in arts gymnastic, and in fraud divine: With pow'r endu'd all language to explain, of care the loos'ner, and the source of gain. Whose hand contains of blameless peace the rod, Corucian, blessed, profitable God; Of various speech, whose aid in works we find, and in necessities to mortals kind.

Winged Hermes, giver of many of humanity's greatest blessings. You, who of all the Gods is closest to mankind by far. Lend me Your ear as I pray to You to watch over those I love beyond all else in life. Hermes Pompaios, guide to all who wander, extend Your arm towards my beloved wife as she travels away from our oikos. Journey with her and protect her from all that would take her away from me. Accept my sacrifice of the sweetest of wines and incense, and of the fullest of fruits, and if I have every sacrificed to You in a manner that was pleasing to You, bring [name] home to me unharmed and fulfilled.

And now I will sing of Zeus, chiefest among the Gods and greatest, all-seeing, the lord of all, the fulfiller who whispers words of wisdom to Themis as she sits leaning towards him. Be gracious, all-seeing Son of Kronos, most excellent and great!

Blessed Zeus, most blessed and revered of all the Gods, You who rule over snowy Olympos with fair but firm hand. You who has the power to bring fulfilment of my wishes and greatest of desires, lend me your ear while the fire consumes my sacrifice to You. Zeus Xenios, You who watches over those who travel as strangers, reach out to those whom come in contact with my beloved wife and mellow their minds. Speak to them of her kindness, her joy, and her innocence. Speak to them and convince them to offer aid and never malice, to offer protection and never pain, to offer kindness and never hate. If I have ever sacrificed to You in a manner that was pleasing to You, may Your whispered words guide her home to me.