I love learning about women's hair from the ancient Hellenic period. My mother would laugh at this because I used to hate getting my hair done. I still do, really, but I found a video that I need to try out something fierce!

Hair has long had an important role in society and religion. During the classical period female citizens wore their hair long except when they were in mourning during which they cut their hair short. Before the fifth century BC women's hair was allowed to fall over the shoulders and back, but it was often fastened by a headband or diadem, and the front section of the hair was restrained. After that, hair was often restrained.  Female citizens, especially, wore their hair long, and after their marriage--usually at a very early age--they wore their hair up in elaborate styles. Typically, only their immediate family and servants saw Hellenic women with their hair undone.

This video shows some of the ancient Mycenaean, Classical, and Hellenistic hairstyles for women and how to create them. Difficulty: Easy - Moderately Hard. Hair Length: at least armpit length. Materials: cord/cloth strips, hairstick(s), decorative crowns or hairnets. Braiding skills needed: none. Time cost: 5-30 minutes. Ideal hair type: curly or wavy.