Today, I'm posting a mix-tape for Apollon. This idea is not mine; it's a combination of a wonderful idea by Sannion and Hellenion's monthly libation schedule.Hellenion is a Hellenistic organization from America and I used their wonderful calender and the great store of information they have gathered to start my own practice. Every month, Hellenion members pour a libation to a different Hellenic God or Goddess. This month, it's Apollon's turn, and while I will not be continuing this practice in the next Hellenic year, I will most certainly keep up the practice until then. To make the day more special, I have created a mix-tape of songs which either describe or would speak to Him.

When I first came to Hellenismos, I felt very little draw towards Apollon. Truthfully, I still do not have a great connection to Him. I worship Him on His sacred days and during His festivals, but beyond Apollon Aguieus--protector of the streets, public places, and the entrances to homes--I don't feel a great personal connection to Him. There are many more Hellenic deities whom I worship lovingly and piously, but without an emotional link to my household practice, and to me, worshipping these deities without that deep connection is not a problem. It does, however, pose significant problems when making a mix-tape.

Because of this, this mix-tape will focus mostly on the bond I do have with Apollon, as a protector of the home, as a faithful brother to Artemis, as a warrior and archer, patron of the Muses, and a healer.



Kate Wolf - Brother Warrior

I love Kate Wolf, and this song is just perfect for Apollon, is all his many guises. A true ode to the warrior, the eternal youth, the wisdom He possesses, the prophet He is, and the Theos of light and the sun as it warms and comforts us. If I ever have an emotional connection with Apollon, it is when I listen to this song.

"With a heart like gold and a rainbow in your eyes / Brave companion / Do you see a world shining in the sky? / With your body dancing like an arrow / Spreading joy beneath your feet / And your hands they wave like the tall grass / In the wind as you speak / With the shyness of a small child / And the wisdom of a sage / I tell you now there is no reason to be afraid."



Antony and the Johnsons - You Are My Sister

One cannot make a mix-tape for Apollon without mentioning Artemis, His loving sister, who was born before Him of lovely Leto, and helped in His delivery. The two are so very similar: both warriors, archers, guardians. Both carry within darkness and the light, and both preside over transitional times in life. This song speaks to the beautiful bond They share, and the strength that Their bond provides for both of Them.

"You are my sister, we were born / So innocent, so full of need / There were times we were friends / but times I was so cruel / Each night I'd ask for you to watch me as I sleep / I was so afraid of the night."




Aimee Mann - The Moth
Confession time: I was in s band for about three seconds. Mostly it were three people dreaming of forming a band, but that's besides the point. This was the first song we decided to cover, and it has a very special place in my heart because of it. The Moth is a beautiful song, about the inevitabilities in life, about human desire. I like it for Apollon because it speaks to the slightly darker motives in human kind, but also the desire to improve oneself. Burning off the unneeded parts--a specialty of Apollon: purifying with light and fire--until you get to the core of your being. A healing, of sorts.

"The moth don't care if the flame burns low / 'cause moth believes in an afterglow / and flames are never doused completely / all you really need is a love of heat / no, the moth don't care if the flame burns low / So come on let's go ready or not / 'cause there's a flame I know hotter than hot / and with a fuse that's so thoroughly shot / away"



The Green Children - Feel The Light

Myth ascribes many a lover to Apollon. From the Muses, Daphne, Hyakinthos, and Kyrene to Cassandra, Cyparissus, and many more. He has fathered many children with those He has loved, and for this reason alone, I must include a love song in this mix tape. This is such a beautiful song when seen from the viewpoint of his lovers.

You are so beautiful when I see you glow in the dark / So turn off the light, just turn off the light / You don't have to see, to feel the light / Just turn off the light, just turn off the light / You don't have to see, to feel the love"



Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Our House

I asked my girlfriend if she knew a song that could speak to Apollon as protector of the home. She's quite the music buff, so she needed only a few seconds to come up with this one. As soon as I heard it, I wondered why I hadn't thought of it myself. I love this song, and it's so obvious that it's perfect for Apollon-as-protector.

"I'll light the fire, you place the flowers in the vase that you bought today. / Staring at the fire for hours and hours while I listen to you / Play your love songs all night long for me, only for me. / Come to me now and rest your head for just five minutes, everything is done. / Such a cozy room, the windows are illuminated by the / Evening sunshine through them, fiery gems for you, only for you. / Our house is a very, very fine house with two cats in the yard, life used to be so hard, / Now everything is easy cause of you."