Christmas is not really my thing, but it sure keeps you off of the street, doesn't it? I'm off to do some serious gift giving with my girlfriend's family so I am borrowing the work of others today. Sententiae Antiquae.com collected a bunch of quotes about gifts and the giving of them that I think fits brilliantly with the day. I hope Christmas was safe and enjoyable for all of you!


Epigonoi Fr. 4 (From Clement of Alexandria)
“Many evils come to men from gifts”
ἐκ γὰρ δώρων πολλὰ κάκ’ ἀνθρώποισι πέλονται.
 
Ovid, Ars Amatoria 2.275
“Poems are certainly praised, but great gifts are what is sought.”
carmina laudantur sed munera magna petuntur.
 
Sophocles, Ajax, 664-5
“But the old saying is true: the gifts of enemies are no gifts, and sure to yield no profit.”
ἀλλ᾽ ἔστ᾽ ἀληθὴς ἡ βροτῶν παροιμία,
ἐχθρῶν ἄδωρα δῶρα κοὐκ ὀνήσιμα
 
Aeschylus, fr. 279a2
“Alone of the gods, Death doesn’t long for gifts.”
μόνος θεῶν γὰρ Θάνατος οὐ δώρων ἐρᾶι·
 
Solon, 13.64
“The gifts of the gods must not be rejected”
δῶρα δ᾿ ἄφυκτα θεῶν γίγνεται ἀθανάτων
 
Nostoi, fr. 8.1
“Gifts debase the minds and actions of men”
δῶρα γὰρ ἀνθρώπων νόον ἤπαφεν ἠδὲ καὶ ἔργα