Today's news made me really happy when I read the headline, and then really sad when I read the article. A stage adaptation of Disney’s 1997 animated musical Hercules will be presented at the Public Theater this year at the company’s outdoor Delacorte Theater in New York’s Central Park.


Lear deBessonet, a resident director at the Public and a founder of the Public Works program (through which Hercules will be presented), will direct the musical, which will run Aug. 31-Sept. 8.

The stage musical will feature the film’s original songs as well as new ones by Alan Menken and lyricist David Zippel, who wrote the gospel-inspired songs from the 1997 film (including “Zero to Hero,” “I Won’t Say (I’m in Love),” and the Oscar-nominated “Go the Distance”). Chase Brock (Be More Chill) will choreograph, while Kristoffer Diaz, who recently adapted the book for Fox’s Rent: Live, will adapt the Disney film’s script for the stage.

All of this is awesome, but sadly, beyond the Public production, there are currently no commercial plans for the title.

Um, Broadway? I need this thing, okay?