I'm a little tired today. No, that is not the correct word: weary. I'm weary with the world today. I woke up and I have been avoiding the news. I'd rather stay indoors on one of our rare summer's days than go outside where the rest of the world is. Too much has happened the last week or so. I'm longing for reprieve from information about pain and suffering. When I get contemplative like this, you tend to get some ancient words of wisdom and today is no different.

If you have ever read Athenaeus of Naucratis' Deipnosophistae (Δειπνοσοφισταί, Deipnosophistaí, 'The Dinner Philosophers'), you know that mad had a lot to say about fish. Athenaeus was a Greco-Egyptian author who lived in the early 3rd-century AD. The Deipnosophistae is a long work of literary, historical, and antiquarian references set in Rome at a series of banquets held by the protagonist Publius Livius Larensis for an assembly of grammarians, lexicographers, jurists, musicians, and hangers-on. It is sometimes called the oldest surviving cookbook and rightfully so. Not even Jaime Oliver talks this much and this in-depth about food.

In the midst of a long discussion about fish and fisherman, though, Athenaeus has one of his speakers quote advice allegedly given by others. I'll quote it as the whole passage and include a more modern translation below which combines the advice into a whole.


"On his [Sardanapallus (the Greek name for the Syrian king Ashurbanipal)] tomb, says Chrysippus, are inscribed these words: 'Though knowing full well that thou art but mortal, indulge thy desire, find joy in thy feasts. Dead, though shalt have no delight. Yes, I am dust, though I was king of mighty Nineveh. I have only what I have eaten, what wantonness I have committed, what joys I received through passion; but my many rich possessions are now utterly dissolved. This is a wise counsel for living, and I shall forget it never. Let him who wants it, acquire gold without end.'

Of the Phaeacians, also, the Poet has said: 'And ever to us is the feast dear, and the harp, and dancers, and changes of raiment, warm baths, and sleep.' Another writer's words we have, who was like Sardanapalus, and who also gave this advice to the foolish: 'All mortals I fain would counsel to live this fleeting life in pleasure. For he that has died is nothingness, only a shade in the world below. Life is short, and while you live it behooves you to enjoy it.'

And the comic poet Amphis says in The Wail from Asia: 'Whosoever is mortal-born and seeks not to add any pleasure to his life, letting all else go, is a fool before the bar of my judgement and that of all wise men; the gods have damned him.' Also, in Government by Women, as its title runs, he has similar advice: 'Drink! play! Life is mortal, short is our time on earth. Death is deathless, once one is dead.' And a man named Bacchidas, who also lived a life like Sardanapalus, has inscribed on his tomb, now that he is dead: 'Drink, eat, indulge in all things the heart's desire. For lo! I stand here, a stone to represent Bacchias."

Modern translation:

“Know well that you are mortal: fill your heart By delighting in the feasts: nothing is useful to you when you’re dead. I am ash, though I ruled great Ninevah as king. I keep whatever I ate, the insults I made, and the joy I took from sex. My wealth and many blessings are gone. This is wise advice for life: I will never forget it. Let anyone who wants to accumulate limitless gold.

And ever to us is the feast dear, and the harp, and dancers, and changes of raiment, warm baths, and sleep. All mortals I believe would be wise to live this fleeting life in pleasure. For he that has died is nothingness, only a shade in the world below. Life is short, and while you live it behooves you to enjoy it.

Drink. Play. Your life is mortal and time on earth is but short. Death itself is everlasting once a man has died. Drink. Eat. Yield everything to your soul. For I am the stone that stands in place of Bachidas."