It can't have escaped your notice that yesterday, the secular new year came to an end. Interestingly enough, I recognize many themes of the Deipnon within these festivities. Purification of the house and person, tying up loose ends of the old year, setting goals for a set period ahead. It makes me more comfortable to indulge in good food and friendship to recognise these very familiar efforts.

I've never really observed new year's as something specia,mostly because I have celebrated it around Samhain since I was thirteen and in my Hellenistic tradition, new year's is still half a year away. The Athenians and the other Ionian peoples began their year with the first new moon after the summer solstice, the Dorians with the first new moon after the autumnal equinox, the Boeotians and other Aeolians with the new moon after the winter solstice. Still, it's a fun evening and night to spend with family, friends and other loved ones. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

As a bit of a tradition, let me share the top ten search results that brought you here, my dear readers, just to show how awesome you guys are and how completely on topic!

- baring the aegis
- hellenismos
- hellenist blog
- modern hellenism festival head covering
- ancient greek warriors
- ancient greek art about afterlife
- baringtheaegis.blogspot.com
- ancient greek honey cakes recipe
- aegis
- atlantis

 I wish you all the absolute best in the secular new year!